• Quarry Exhibit Hall Renovation
  • Quarry Exhibit Hall Renovation
  • Quarry Exhibit Hall Renovation
  • National Park Service

    Dinosaur National Monument, Utah

    Opened in 1958, the Upper Quarry Visitor Center was built to shelter an exposed cliff face containing nearly 2,000 dinosaur bones from the late-Jurassic period. The facility, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, has been closed since 2006 due to structural problems caused by the unstable nature of the soil on which the building resides. To rehabilitate the facility and provide additional needed space, a plan was developed to shore up the structural integrity of the facility, renovate the exhibit hall containing the cliff face, and build a new interpretive center approximately one-quarter mile away. For the exhibit hall rehabilitation portion of the project, RMH developed computer-generated daylighting models to complement its mechanical/electrical engineering services and to provide valuable information to the project’s architect. Using data produced from the modeling, team members were able to develop a renovation strategy that would provide sufficient levels of daylight to enter the building for visibility, while rejecting troublesome glare. A window glazing scheme was also selected that will reduce HVAC cooling loads in the spring/summer months and reduce heating loads in fall/winter months. The lighting/daylighting control scheme−utilizing photocells, occupancy sensors, and a timeclock with relay panel−was implemented to turn off supplemental electrical lighting when sufficient ambient daylight is available or when the building is unoccupied. RMH’s lighting design featured efficient fluorescent lighting with metal halide highlights to emphasize depth and minimize shadows. The resulting space will be more energy efficient than before and provide a greater level of comfort for building occupants, all while protecting and preserving treasured artifacts.
 

Quarry Exhibit Hall Renovation

National Park Service

Dinosaur National Monument, Utah

Opened in 1958, the Upper Quarry Visitor Center was built to shelter an exposed cliff face containing nearly 2,000 dinosaur bones from the late-Jurassic period. The facility, which is on the National Register of Historic Places, has been closed since 2006 due to structural problems caused by the unstable nature of the soil on which the building resides. To rehabilitate the facility and provide additional needed space, a plan was developed to shore up the structural integrity of the facility, renovate the exhibit hall containing the cliff face, and build a new interpretive center approximately one-quarter mile away.

For the exhibit hall rehabilitation portion of the project, RMH developed computer-generated daylighting models to complement its mechanical/electrical engineering services and to provide valuable information to the project’s architect. Using data produced from the modeling, team members were able to develop a renovation strategy that would provide sufficient levels of daylight to enter the building for visibility, while rejecting troublesome glare. A window glazing scheme was also selected that will reduce HVAC cooling loads in the spring/summer months and reduce heating loads in fall/winter months.

The lighting/daylighting control scheme−utilizing photocells, occupancy sensors, and a timeclock with relay panel−was implemented to turn off supplemental electrical lighting when sufficient ambient daylight is available or when the building is unoccupied. RMH’s lighting design featured efficient fluorescent lighting with metal halide highlights to emphasize depth and minimize shadows. The resulting space will be more energy efficient than before and provide a greater level of comfort for building occupants, all while protecting and preserving treasured artifacts.